22 April 2008

What's up, doc doc doc?

This is a "Wellness Hotel" not far from where I live. It belongs to Dr. Dr. Wagner. This alerted me to a hilarious quirk of Austrian society -- if a person has more than one doctorate (Phd.) it is customary to use all of them. 
This seems a bit pompous, not to mention slightly inconvenient. A student of mine told me he knows someone who has 3 doctorates and is addressed with all 3.

Imagine the phone calls to the office:
"Dr. Dr. Dr. Muller's office, good morning"
"Good morning. Is Dr. Dr. Dr. Muller in?"
"I am afraid Dr. Dr. Dr. Muller is not in yet."
"What time will the Dr. Dr. Dr. arrive?"
"Not until 10. Would you like to leave a message for the Dr. Dr. Dr.?"

I wonder if he gets mad when people leave one of the Dr.'s out? "I didn't get 3 doctorates to just be called Dr. Dr., you undereducated bastard!"


No comments: