17 April 2008

Munich Day Trip -- Part 2

Anyway, after dwelling on the horrors of the past I wandered back to the center. On the way I passed a very swanky zone with expensive shops selling Ancient Greek vases, handmade stationery, utterly impractical clothes and... chocolate. In this last case I felt compelled to enter and appreciate the merchandise at closer range. 
They sold only luxury high-cacoa-content chocolate, many brands that I hadn't seen before. Good chocolate is something I enjoy... it can have a palette of flavors more complex than really good wine... and it's cheaper -- you can buy an excellent bar of chocolate for the same you would pay for a mediocre wine. In this case I shelled out 6 euros to buy a Domori Sambirano chocolate bar made from Madagascar cacao beans. 
In my enthusiasm I failed to notice I had picked up the 100% cocoa mass version, rather than the 70% one. When put a piece in my mouth 15 minutes later -- wham! it was really head-ringingly intense! No sugar or anything else, just pure cocoa. Pretty good chocolate though, give them a try.
Next to counteract this indulgence of the senses I went into the Frauenkirche and tried to face the less hedonistic aspects of existence.
My ascetic thoughts were short-lived. I soon found myself in the delightful Viktualienmarkt, the enticing wares set off in the brilliant sunlight. I looked at an impressive array of mushrooms, and congratulated this monkfish on its good looks .

 
I then headed east and explored the pleasant area around the river. Even though it wasn't exactly warm there were a few people lounging on the pebbly beach. What is it about running water that brings your mind into such restful harmony? 
Strolling on the banks of the river I noticed I was right next to the Deutsches Museum, which I had heard is one of the best Science and Technology museums in the world. The severe building seemed to chastise me for my frivolity, so in I went to soak up some knowledge. The museum was indeed very interesting. There was even a group excursion of some French college boys for me to rest my eyes on while pondering the wonders of Science.
Here are a couple of them among military hardware -- I have decided to entitle this picture "Boys and their Toys"

No comments: