03 April 2008

Variations on a View




Before I moved to Salzburg 6 months ago, I had never had a really good view. As you can see the view from my studio's window here is nothing to be sniffed at. In the distance there's the Geisberg, a mountain that's about 1800m high. 

As I lived day-to-day with this magnificent panorama I began to be captivated by its various appearances. It's incredible how the play of light, fog, rain, clouds, time of day, season, and snow can give it so many faces. And these atmospheric conditions are never exactly the same -- I am always seeing another facet of the view when a novel light strikes and reveals new colors.

I started photographing it at all times and in all weathers. I was then reminded of Cezanne's continuous re-painting of the same view of Mt. St. Victoire. No intent to even associate my name to his, but my fascination is of the same kind as his was. My results are nowhere as good, but I hope you still enjoy these photos as much as I do.


No comments: