15 April 2008

Monty Python Abroad

I have always been a great fan of Monty Python. I have some friends who simply don't "get" their humor, though they are otherwise sane people -- I guess it's quite British and isn't for everyone.
A couple of years ago I found out that during the height of their popularity Monty Python were asked do some shows for German TV (a lot of people, even fans, seem not to know about these). They even did the sketches directly in German. They were a very smart bunch, several of them had degrees from universities such as Oxford and Cambridge, and one of them was a doctor before turning to comedy.
I went on a day trip to Munich, which is just 2 hours by train from Salzburg, last Tuesday to see my brother who was there on a business trip. In the evening we went to one of those typical traditional Bavarian restaurants -- you know, photos of chaps in lederhosen, lots of pork, beer, and sauerkraut.
Anyway, I was reminded of this sketch from the shows they did for German TV:



No comments: