28 March 2008

Another Confession


I confessed that I like men and classical music, two unusual tastes so far.
I must confess that I am also a chocoholic. Well, not really a chocolic because I keep my cravings under control and I am thin. But anyway, as Ron White once said: "I am not an alcoholic. Alcoholics go to meetings, I'm just a drunk."

As this is a predilection a lot of people share, and that within limits doesn't make you beat your wife, there are no Twelve-steppers on this one yet -- and I hope there will never be. It's already annoying enough hearing about these ex-gays. I don't want to start hearing whiny men and women with a glazed look in their eyes doing commercials on how they renounced chocolate through the power of Jesus.

A new chocolate maker that has come to my attention is Zotter, an Austrian brand.

Joseph Zotter is an ex-patisserie chef who started a hand-made chocolate company after going bankrupt in his last venture.

Less than 9 years after starting this venture, though, he's pulling in big bucks.

What's he got new? He has reportedly developed a method called hand-scooping, that allows several layers of flavors to be superimposed, and later tasted effectively.

The other novelty is that he likes to create chocolate bars with some crazy flavors, such as:

- Banana Curry - Almonds and Roses - Bacon bits - Beetroot with galangal

- Cashew and Pineapple - Dates and Shiitake - Lemon and Polenta - Gruner Veltliner wine and Pepper - Tofu and Sake


I have tried about 10 of the dozens of flavors. Obviously with such experimenting, not all of them are complete successes, but many are winning combinations and a treat.

Also, Zotter's is one of the few chocolate companies that is not only organic but fair trade.

Add to that the funky illustrations done for each flavor by an Austrian artist and you've got a really interesting product.

They sell only at selected retailers and the prices that I have seen tend to be around 3 euros a bar.

Give it a try -- and no I am not getting any money from them. Though, if anyone from Zotter does read this, please note that I can bribed with some of your chocolate.



Photo to the left: Mr. Zotter applies Woody Allen's advice about sex to chocolate -- "If it isn't dirty, you are not doing it right"

No comments: