02 April 2008

The Hills are Alive

Pic 1: According to the sign this doorway has existed since 800 AD; people were really a lot shorter back then, since the door only comes up to slightly above my belly-button and I am only average height. This is on the outskirts of Salzburg in a place called Gnigl. Amazing to think this doorway is still being used today.
I am always amazed at how clouds can look like abstract paintings. Kandinsky couldn't do any better.
A traditional Austrian house in the country a few kilometers from Salzburg, with the worked wood and the oh-so-catholic Christ up top. I forgot to straighten this picture, and now I'm too lazy to go back and do it.
Snow peaked mountains -- there are lots of them around Salzburg.
Last pic: This was a house I spotted right at the edge of town, before you get into the country. I thought it was interesting and a bit funny how the owners had added an ultra-modern wing to the super-traditional main body of their house on the left (notice the woodwork and the deer antlers up on top). The contrast looks kind of cool though.


The last few days have been sunny and mild here in Salzburg. The winter was pretty nasty, so I was out taking some walks in nature in the blink of an eye. I am not crazy about Salzburg after 6 months here -- it is very beautiful and it has a good quality of life, but I am used to larger cities. This just feels a bit tiny to me. 
But one thing has to be said for living here: the natural beauty of the region is splendid, and it's easy to get out of the city on foot and go on some wonderful walks. 
The above photos were taken on those treks.

No comments: